Triund is a small hamlet in the Kangra District in the state of Himachal Pradesh. It stands at an elevation of 2,828 meters from sea level and is located at the foot of the Dhauladhar ranges. Triund is a beautiful hamlet and is also known as a crown jewel of Dharamshala.
The trek to Triund starts from either Dharamkot or Mcleodganj. The total distance of the trek is 9 km and you can start this trek from the Galu Devi Temple as well which is not so far from Mcleodganj.
Region- Himachal Pradesh
Max Altitude- 2,850 meters above sea level
Trekking distance- 12 to14 km
Days- 1 to 2 days (depends on your walking speed)
Difficulty level- Easy (Ideal for beginners)
Base camp- McLeodganj and Dharamkot
Nearest railroad- Pathankot Railway Station
Nearest airport- Gaggal and Bhuntar Airport
Best time for trekking- March to May (pre-monsoon) and September to Mid November (post-monsoon)
How to reach Triund
The base point of the Triund trek is both Mcleodganj and Dharamkot. Firstly you need to get to Mcleodganj from Delhi. It will take 11-12 hours to reach from Delhi to Mcleodganj. The distance between Mcleodganj and Dharamkot is 8 km. From Mcleodganj you can hire a cab or take a local bus to reach Dharamkot.
You can reach Mcleodganj by train as well. The closest railway station to reach Triund is Pathankot railway station and from there you can take a bus or hire a cab. The nearest airport is Gaggal Airport, which is about 17km away from Mcleodganj.
Activities you can do in your trip apart from trekking-
- A chance to witness the majestic views of the mighty and majestic Himalayas
- Camping is the second best thing after trekking. Camping under the starlit stars with a bonfire in a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- On the way up there, you’ll find many cafes and tea houses offering you delicious snacks and beverages. Must try them
- Shop until you run out of money
- Explore nearby villages like Dharamkot, Dharamshala and Mcleodganj
- It is a perfect place for Astrophotography and nature photography
Tips for trekkers:-
- If you are travelling from India, then no permits are required for the trek. International travellers need permits for the trek.
- Carry a light backpack with some warm clothes irrespective of the season
- A water bottle (3-5literes) and eatables like cookies, chocolates, etc.
- You can also go back from Triund to Galu Devi Temple and from there Mcleodganj to roam around the hill station local markets and find some good food cafes.
- Avoid drinking and smoking. Keep yourself hydrated throughout the trip
- Do not litter here and there. Keep the environment clean and green.
- It is good to rent a tent and sleeping bags rather than carrying along. You will easily get trekking gears from Dharamshala and Mcleodganj
- For stay, you will find a few govt. Guesthouses and forest rest houses at minimal prices. You can also enjoy camping there.
- You will come across small tea stalls and cafes which offer food, maggie, tea & coffee, and refreshment items. Enjoy it to the fullest
Things to carry
Triund Trek is a short trek but you can’t just grab your bags and leave. You need to go there with proper planning. The trek comes under an easy level trek and can be done with each age group. If you plan to go there, pack your clothes irrespective of the season. So if you plan to go there, do not miss carrying all the essential things other than clothes that you will be needing there. A list of basic and important items that should be with you is given below:
- Trekking pole
- Trekking shoes or boots and sneakers- as an extra
- Woolen sweater, thermal innerwears, jacket, and clothes.
- Scarfs, & mufflers.
- Woolen gloves, Woolen socks, and Woolen cap
- Moisturizers, Sunscreen & lip balm
- Water bottles and Eatables like energy bars, cookies, etc.
- Raincover for rucksack, Raincoat and umbrella
- Thermal inner wear for top & bottom
- Extra polythene or carry bag to keep the trash and wet clothes
- Torch & flashlights with extra batteries
- Mandatory ID Proofs like Adhar card, Voter ID, etc
- First aid kit including all the necessary medicines